Aquiares Estate Don Alfonso Entre Rios, Costa Rica
|TASTE||Raisin, Lime, Molasses|
|ALTITUDE||800 - 1400 masl|
WE CURRENTLY ROAST ON TUESDAYS, SO ALL COFFEE ORDERS PLACED BEFORE MIDNIGHT ON MONDAY WILL BE ROASTED AND SHIPPED OUT ON THE WEDNESDAY OF THAT WEEK.
Founded in 1890, the Aquiares Estate is one of the oldest coffee farms in Costa Rica. Originally set up to profit off the railroad to the port of Limón, the estate built it's own mill and began producing a large portion of Costa Rica's coffee exports. In 1949, the farm was bought by the Figueres family. This was the family of Pepe Figueres, the ex-president who abolished the Costa Rican Army. This famous family continued to develop and expand the farm until the early 1970s when three closely-knit families assumed ownership.
Fast forward to today, and the Aquiares Estate is renowned as a pioneer in speciality coffee production. With 80% of the farm dedicated to coffee production and the other 20% to conservation, the farmers keep sustainability in mind at all times and work hard to ensure the best farming practices for both the coffee and the planet. For example, soil health is one of the most important parts of any successful agricultural operation. For this reason, Aquiares’ agricultural practices work to build and maintain soil quality. The organic matter provided by shade leaf litter feeds soil microbes. In turn, decomposition provides coffee plants with organic nutrients. In addition, native trees provide shade to slow coffee ripening. A longer ripening process allows the bean to absorb more sugars and makes for a better cup quality. This particular coffee is the 'Don Alfonso Entre Rios', one of the farm's showcase coffees.
Don Alfonso refers to the current president of the estate: Alfonso Robelo. We had the pleasure of meeting his son Diego a few years ago and it is an absolute pleasure to now have the opportunity to use some of their coffee. This coffee is a mix of Marsellesa & Obatá varieties. Marsellesa is a variety obtained from the hybridization of Sarchimor and Caturra. It is sought after for its superior cup quality and its resistance to leaf rust. Obatá is a Sarchimor: a cross between Timor Hybrid 832/2 and Villa Sarchi CIFC 971/10. The end result is a well rounded cup with sweet raisin flavours and a zesty, fresh aroma.